Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Don Lemon - Can an lgbt of color FINALLY get a word in edgewise?

As you all have heard, CNN anchor Don Lemon came out on Sunday. That in itself is a good thing.

The fact that he is high profile African-American is icing on the cake.

His visibility underlines a problem that I don't think many ever mention when it comes to talking about lgbts in the African-American community. You see, I don't hold to the idea that black people are more homophobic than whites or Latinos or Asians.

The problem with being an lgbt in the black community is that you never get heard. By anyone.

Heterosexual African-Americans (especially preachers) either ignore you, talk over you, or gingerly talk about you.

Some leaders in the black community will intentionally boggart the conversation.

Trust me on this one. I have been on many situations, be they panel discussions, online discussions, or radio programs, where the focus isn't on trying to exchange points of view on the issue, but rather to shut me up and not let me - or any other lgbt of color who happen to be with me at the time - talk.

It's as if these folks are scared of us. It's as if they think acknowledging who we are would lead God to come down from heaven and strike everyone down.

And even on television news programs, you hardly ever hear the perspective of lgbts of color because there is this need to pit the lgbt and African-American communities against one another as if we are two separate entities never to unite.

That's why I am happy that Lemon publicly came out. Finally, there is a voice to bring perspective to the issue of lgbts in the black community.

This interview with Lemon, conducted by Joey Behar, speaks to my point:





Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Jay said...

Thanks for this post and for all that you do. This is among my favorite blogs! (Sorry if this is off topic, but I just want you to know that you have many admirers.)

BlackTsunami said...

Thank you for that, Jay ;p

It is always good when I get support. It reminds me of why I post.

Unknown said...

My first thought when I heard this was, "Oooh, BT's gonna love this!"

I always look forward to your commentary, even when we disagree. I only hope to be half as eloquent as you are.

BlackTsunami said...

Thank you Shawna ;p

Mykelb said...

I know this is kind of crass, but it doesn't hurt that hes extremely telegenic and makes one want to watch him.

DC HAMPTON JACOBS said...

The Black community may not be more homophobic than other communities, but it sure as Hell expresses homophobia with more intensity. And it's not just that Straight Black folk try to silence us: They vilify and assault us! This comes from a Gay brother who's been beaten and threatened with beatings numerous times by other Black men. I'm sick of anti-Gay hatred being downplayed when African-Americans are guilty of it.