Monday, October 25, 2010

Apparently I am an 'Uncle Tom' and other Monday midday news briefs

No Maggie…And You Don’t Have Any Blood In Your Heart Either- Give it up Maggie Gallagher, your protests only make it worse.

McCollum’s last stand? He won’t appeal gay adoption ruling, BUT…. - Florida's gay adoption ban is dead but McCollum seems to want to play Dr. Frankenstein.

Unlikely allies in bias battle: Gay man and his ex-attacker - This is a pretty cool article.


Finally, someone (who shall remain nameless) took the time to pick apart my earlier work. By picking apart, I mean calling me names like an shill for the Democratic Party and an Obama apologist. Then two others - one with a personal beef with me - decided to join in. And I have a problem with that because it proves the point I am trying to make. Can the lgbt community do anything but demonstate creative ways concerning how angry we are throw useless insults at each other. Anyway, this is my answer to him just in case he decides not to publish it on his page:

Dear Sir,

the piece I wrote was a response to the nonsense I hear about lgbts sittiing out this election. To do so would be counterproductive to our struggle. And yes I have a problem with the lgbt community consistently being "reactive" instead of "proactive" We gather together after a tragedy, hugging each other and the like but what are we doing to keep the tragedy from taking place in the first place?

Please bear in mind that I am no one's shill but a free man with my own mind. My background determines who I am and I decide how I will act as a gay man. That's another problem in our community. Some self-appointed individuals call themselves setting the rules and the dictates of what our history is and demanding that folks adhere to them. Well I don't and I am tired of all of this useless anger, these ugly words - "I am an Uncle Tom," "my writing is piss poor," etc. Yes I get it. You are angry but the question is what are you going to do with it? What are you going to do about it? Probably nothing but stew in your juices and call people names. It's unfortunately what some of us do best. Two more things - even those in the civil rights movement realized that proaction is better than reaction. I suggest you look up the full history before citing it. Just because the struggle for lgbt equality and African-American equality is similar doesn't mean you can cite it without knowing what you are talking about.


Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Inspector13 said...

FYI from todays south bend tribune, south bend, IN

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20101025/News01/101029638/1130

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you do for our community Alvin. And you are absolutely correct to encourage folks to get out and vote for those who have and will support us politically. To do otherwise is to "cut off one's nose to spite one's face."

WMDKitty said...

*hugs*

You know you're making a point when the "rebuttal" is nothing but personal attacks.

I don't understand why everyone can't just set aside small (or even medium) differences, and work for the common goal of equality. We can worry about the petty stuff later!