Thursday, June 11, 2009

Me and my reprobate mind - responses to my column on lgbts of color

Tomorrow will be the last day that my column will be on the State newspaper's online EXTRA opinion webpage.

Surprisingly, the responses have been very positive.

I was given a lot of kudos for what I wrote. And many good discussions took place.

At my job, a lot of folks gave me support. Even those who may haved disagreed with my column respected me for being honest. It reminds me about just how limited folks are when they try to predict how African-Americans behave regarding lgbt issues.

The main thing is not religious disagreement but a lack of information. The fact of the matter is that many African-Americans are not educated about lgbts of color and the gay community in general. When we are able to break through that wall of ignorance, people will realize that black folks aren't monolithic when it comes to lgbt rights

However . . .

There is always some silly people who show their asses. And there was one in an AOL forum. I submitted my columns to several African-American forums on AOL, including a religious forum because I felt that this is a religious issue. This is the one response I received from a young woman:

I live in NYC.

See them every day, insecure and disgusted with themselves....

I don't need to be reminded.


My reply:

Well I don't know about New York but I know that if your own people are stabbing you in the back, you aren't inclined to feel good about yourself.

Still homosexuality is a black issue. And lgbts of color deserve as much dignity and respect as other facets of the black community.


Her two responses to me and another person who called her out on being so negative:

1. I was only concerned for a minute.

Go on to hell as you've decided to do.

If the LORD can't reach you, I can't either.....

And that goes for every confused unhappy homosexual practitioner who has turned away from GOD.

HE's turned you over to your own reprobate spirit.....

Have fun while you can.

2. My people are the people of the ONE TRUE AND LIVING GOD. Those are my brothers and sisters in CHRIST.

Homosexual practitioners are not part of that group.

My response to her nonsense:

Well you have a right to your belief my friend.

But until there is any holy book (Bible or otherwise) that say you sit on the right hand of God, I will think of your belief simply as your opinion. None of us are God so it is no one's place to condemn someone to hell.

This is the main reason why us black folks can't have a simple discussion on important issues like these.


Like I said before, we have to break through the ignorance. And it seems to be like horse manure in a stable - knee deep.


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

RedSpider said...

What I really want to know is, is it their Borg implants or something? There is never a moment when I get comments from PEOPLE LIKE THIS where their writing style is always full of STRANGELY ALL-CAPPED SEGMENTS OF TEXT that I guess you're supposed to be ABSOLUTELY SCARED BY. Usually things about THE ONE TRUE GOD and all about how we're GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL and stuff like that.

I'll see you in hell, but it's okay. We've got huge gay circuit parties planned that'll go for all eternity. The beauty of that, of course, is no after-party cleanup.

Unknown said...

It is a Christian lifestyle choice...

BlackTsunami said...

To paraphrase the words of Mia X:

"Pray for 'em cause they crazy."

Buffy said...

My people are the people of the ONE TRUE AND LIVING GOD. Those are my brothers and sisters in CHRIST.

Homosexual practitioners are not part of that group.


Considering being of the ONE TRUE AND LIVING GOD seems to make you a narrow minded, hypocritical bigot I'm glad to not be part of that group.