Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Today is the day so let us pray

This is it. In just a few hours we will know the California court's decision on Prop 8.

I'm hoping for the best but I am prepared for the worst. I've been in prayer about what may happen for several reasons. Regardless of the size of California, I'm not exactly happy that everyone's eyes are on this decision despite the fact that either way it goes down, it won't change anything going on in my state, South Carolina.

I am resentful to a degree of how folks are going to declare the battle for marriage equality either won or loss due to this decision while totally forgetting the fight for lgbt equality in general, especially in the so-called insignificant states such as South Carolina where we recently fought hard to beat back an ugly anti-gay teen dating violence bill.

And I am worried about which way my community will act. If it's a total victory, people are going to spend unnecessary time celebrating while the religious right will be planning their next move.

And if it's not a complete victory, you just know folks are going to act stupid. Anger is good but counterproductive anger is stupid. And I cringe to think of more Phyllis Burgess incidents (i.e. the elderly woman who was pushed at an anti-Prop 8 rally after she began pushing people in order to get in camera. One guess which element of the story folks like Mike Huckabee and Michelle Malkin focused on).

So I await today's news with a degree of indifference and some fear. But my fingers are crossed that good will and intelligence will rule the day.





Bookmark and Share

No comments: